We want to visit a famous place for many reasons. For the natural beauty, for the magnificent architechture, landscape, festivities or many other things. Most importantly, just like this spot in the Philippines, for historical significance. The Shrine of Valor in Mt. Samat can be found in Pilar, Bataan. This symbolic place, more commonly known as Dambana ng Kagitingan in the Philippines, is a witness to the most vicious battle of the Filipino and American soldiers against the Japanese Imperial Army in the "Battle of Bataan" in 1942.
The province of Bataan occupies the whole Bataan Peninsula in Luzon, Philippines. It will take more than four hours to get there from the Metropolitan Manila if you will travel by car. When I went there in April 2006, the two of us traveled via van from Balanga. We stopped by a shanty at the corner to eat Halo-halo before we climbed the mountain . You'd find the trip from the main highway to the mountain rather slower, due to the steep slopes. But you can opt to trek your way up or get there via a chopper. Once you get to the top, you'd find the place serene and reminiscent of the war era.
I envy those who enjoyed the long stairs up because I had a hard time catching up with my august photographer (cum driver cum tourist guide cum escort cum bodyguard) It maybe due to my asthma or my weight gain. Thanks for his
patience, at last I reached the Shrine. Now I understand why he is so keen on showing me the place. Those thick walls with small holes and the old artilleries gave the atmosphere of... courage under pressure.
Mt. Samat is beautiful and the view from above is splendid. Just imagine the feeling of being up there 

so high you can almost see the entire plain. We walked around and I observed not much changes were made to preserve its original state. For me, the place can still allow minor enhancements, although not necessarily. It is perfect with just proper maintenance.
Aside from this mountain, there are more tourist destinations in Bataan Peninsula to check out for. Like the beach resorts, the seafood restaurants along the national highway, Corregidor Island , and some new man-made attractions. This sparsely populated province also boasts of its good food and the most congenial Filipinos.
On top of Mount Samat, you will feel like staying there. I forgot all about the
exhausting stairs and didn't notice the hot sun as I cracked jokes while resting on
the bamboo bench beside the makeshift stall. He couldn't make me ride the elevator inside, but he knew I had enough fun already. So after these snapshots we headed our way down. And this time, the stairs was a child's play experience.
Related Post:BATAAN DEATH MARCH
No comments:
Post a Comment